SAINT PATRICK’S DAY BY NUMBERS: The Irish and Catholicism in Perry County, Ohio

By Joseph E.B. Snider

    As we continue our research in preparation for the Perry County Bicentennial in 2017, we find ourselves examining a variety of historic documents and government records, including the Federal Census. In honor of Saint Patrick’s Day, we have lately, turned our attention toward the Irish and the role they played in Perry County’s history. The 1850 Federal Census provides a plethora of information that had never been collected in any prior U.S. census. Unlike the three previous U.S. censuses of Ohio, the 1850 census lists the occupation of adult males and the real estate values of households, but it also records the place of birth of all those listed. So for the first time, researchers and historians are offered a glimpse into the demographic composition of our state’s past. In the year 1850, 2.2 million foreign-born people were living in the U.S., and of those, 145,992 were living in Ohio, 32,779 of which were born in Ireland. The number of Irish-born Ohioans were second in number only to the 70,000 some Germans who also called Ohio their home.

IRISH BORN PEOPLE IN OHIO TOP TEN COUNTIES

Irish-born individuals in Ohio Counties (top ten counties) in 1850.

    This data becomes more interesting when one isolates individual Ohio counties and counts their Irish immigrants. For example Perry County ranks 10th in number of Irish-born Ohioans with a total of 767 in 1850. Perry falls behind obvious heavy hitters like Hamilton County with 2,125 Irish-born residents, Cuyahoga with 1,600 and Muskingum with 1,283, but if one compares the number of Irish immigrants per county as a percent of the total immigrants in that county, Perry lands at number five with Irish-born persons making up 60% of all foreign immigrants. Jackson Township was home to 132 Irish persons, followed by Pike Township with 120 and Reading with 116.

FOREIGN BORN PEOPLE IN PERRY COUNTY, OHIO, BY NATION OF ORIGIN IN 1850 1

Foreign-born persons in Perry County, Ohio, in 1850, by nation of origin.

    These numbers raise questions like, what was it that brought the Irish to Perry County in greater numbers than any other nation prior to 1850? Those familiar with the plight of the Irishman know that the potato famine began in 1845, though the worst of the effects were not felt until 1847 when some 250,000 Irish people emigrated from Ireland, many of them landing in the U.S. However there was already a considerable Irish population in Perry County prior to the famine as evidenced by the many pre-famine tombstones in various cemeteries throughout the county which bear Irish surnames. Could it be the presence of two well established Catholic parishes in northern Perry County that beaconed the Irish to this neighborhood? Since their conversion from paganism around 400AD, the Irish have often been closely associated with Catholicism. For this, and other political reasons, they have all too often found themselves left to the tender mercies of oppressive governments and bigoted societies. Saint Joseph’s Catholic Church, the oldest Catholic Church in Ohio, was founded in 1818, just south of Somerset. Near the 1843 church’s present location, on property owned by Somerset tavern owner, Jacob Dittoe, the first Catholic Mass in Ohio was performed by Dominican Father Edward Fenwick in 1808. Later in Somerset, Holy Trinity was established in 1827. Because of these early parishes and their fervent founders, this area of Perry County is often referred as “the cradle of faith” or “the cradle of Catholicity” in Ohio. These parishes attracted German, French and Irish Catholics, and inspired families to settle in the area. These families would be followed by their kinsmen and their kinsmen, ad infinitum.

    Similar scenarios played out in other parts of the New World, both before and after the American Revolution. In 1636, the very first religious tolerance act in the North American British colonies was passed in what would become the colony of Rhode Island. In 1649, the colony of Maryland passed the Maryland Tolerance Act which guaranteed the right of all Trinitarian Christians to practice their faith. As a result, many persecuted Catholics in Europe flocked to America, intentionally landing in Maryland. Though the act was permanently repealed in 1692 following the Protestant Revolution, Maryland continued to be a preferred point of entry for Catholics immigrating to America, indeed many Perry County Catholics of today can trace their family’s immigration back to Maryland. Ohio, along with other soon-to-be states in the northwest, offered many opportunities to early settlers, among them, religious freedom. Inspired by Thomas Jefferson’s Land Ordinance of 1784, the Northwest Ordinance of 1787 set the precedent by which all future states in the Union would be formed and paved the way to statehood for the states of  Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Michigan, Wisconsin and Minnesota. This single piece of legislation established the legal basis for land ownership in the northwest, called for the abolition and transfer of other state’s claims to the territory which allowed for the admission of new states, encouraged the establishment of public universities, authorized local territorial governments, outlawed slavery and guaranteed freedom of religion in the Northwest Territory. This incredibly important document aided in making the northwest, and particularly Ohio, a very attractive place to the faithful flock.

Have a wonderful Saint Patrick’s Day!

Sources:

United States Bureau of the Census

1850 The Seventh Census of the United States. Perry County, Ohio. Microfilm copy on file, Fairfield County District Library, Lancaster, Ohio.

Wilhem, H. G. H.

1982 The Origin and Distribution of Settlement Groups: Ohio: 1850. Wilhelm, Hubert G.H.  and the Department of Geography at Ohio University, Athens, Ohio.


For regular news on other Perry County related research be sure to visit our facebook page Archaeology at the Randolph Mitchell House 


 

Advertisements

Mystery Photos a Mystery No More, or maybe still yet?

By Joseph E.B. Snider

A variation of the following article appeared in the Perry County Tribune on February 17, 2016 entitled Mystery Photos a Mystery No More

As we continue our research at the Randolph Mitchell House, we are often easily distracted by other people and stories that make up Perry County’s rich historic record. With the Perry County Bicentennial in 2017 fast approaching, we have lately been allowing ourselves to wander down these many fascinating side alleys. Sometimes you search and search and search, and have little luck, but other times, sometimes when you’re least expecting it, history finds you.

Decoding the past often requires years of experience and a special set of abilities that can only be acquired through said experience. However there are instances where some basic research skills, and a little hard work, can pay off. Sometimes knowing the right questions to ask is just as important as knowing where to find the answers. Such is often the case with old photographs. These treasures offer researches a literal time capsule filled with information about the past. Close analysis of these snapshots in time can tell us much more than you might imagine.

photo 1

Figure 1.  

While combing through some copies of old unlabeled photos of Ohio in an antique mall in Fairfield County a pair of intriguing images were discovered. A sizable crowd of town folk in their best straw boaters have gathered along the street to watch what appears to be some sort of bizarre parade beneath a welcome banner. In the first photo, figure 1 if you will, a band of marauding Indians, in ceremonial dress complete with headgear, are attacking a small covered wagon piloted by one unfortunate settler who is in the process of having his throat cut by a lucky warrior. As the siege of the wagon continues a group of young boys in flat caps seem interested in joining the fray and run into the street after the Indians. It should be observed that in the midst of this abnormal display, the store fronts lining the street are decked out from curb to soffit in patriotic garb.

photo 1 zoom

Close up of Indian attack from figure 1. 

photo 2

Figure 2.  

The second picture, figure 2, is a slightly more sedated procession, likely the same parade, but toned down and now headed in the opposite direction. Despite a lack of attacking Indians this procession is arguably just as strange. A woman is seated in a travois, drawn by an ass, and led by a man in a white robe and veil. She sits with a crown on her head while one arm is stretched out to wave. Could this be the cruel fate of the county fair queen? Or is something more peculiar happening here? If one looks closer, several alternative narratives arise. She appears to be holding something in her lap, perhaps a child? Maybe she is meant to be the virgin mother and Joseph, in a white robe and veil, is escorting her out of Bethlehem and back to Nazareth? Or maybe she is lady liberty, adorned with her crown, and holding a bundle of arrows and olive branches in her lap? Or maybe the simplest explanation is best. Maybe she really is some poor county fair queen, with a simple bouquet of flowers in her lap, being pulled around town in an ass-drawn travois, led by a man dressed as a mad scientist. Alas, we many never know.

photo 2 zoomed

Close up of county fair queen from figure 2. Note the umbrella with legible text. 

Despite these forever mysteries, there are things that can be learned from these photos, like a rough date and location. Based on the architecture and dress of the on lookers, it was assumed that they were taken somewhere in southeastern Ohio in the first quarter of the 20th century, but how can we be sure? In the second photo, with the fair queen, you’ll notice an umbrella in front of the two story porch. On the canopy of the umbrella is text that reads “DEALERS IN GEN. HARDWARE SHUTTLEWORTH AND SONS.” A quick search of “Shuttleworth and Sons” yielded no results, but a search of “Shuttleworth Hardware” brought up a New Lexington Herald article from March 9, 1922. Suddenly, we knew, the parade was in Perry County, Ohio, and not only that, it was in New Straitsville.

New Straitsville was originally founded by the New Straitsville Mining Company in 1870 as a coal mining community. The town’s population swelled to over 4,000 souls by 1880, but New Straitsville’s progress was severely hampered in 1884 when a labor dispute between the minors and the bourgeois climaxed as several union laborers set fire to creosote timbers in a coal car and rolled it into the mine thus setting the coal vein ablaze. By the time the mine company management discovered the blaze it was too late to extinguish the fire and the coal vein continued to burn. For decades nearby residents in the area reported brewing coffee with their well water which was heated by the coal burning below. As recently as 2003, smoke was spotted rising up from the ground above the coal vein that continues to burn to this day.

The 1922 article from the New Lexington Herald was a letter to the editor advertising a ten-round fight to be held at the New Straitsville Athletic Club on March 10th, between Jimmy Mars, of Columbus, and local boy, Young Stanley, of New Lexington. The readers were informed that ticket sales could be made over the phone located at the Shuttleworth Hardware in New Straitsville. Just who won this fight could not be immediately determined, however we now know where the photos were taken. Comparing these two photos to other old photos of New Straitsville, we were able to determine that the parade was passing along Main Street. Sadly, none of the buildings pictured are still standing today.

photo 1 flag

1896 flag from figure 1. 

photo 2 flag

1912 flag from figure 2. 

 

Back to the photos, to see what else can be learned, look once again at the patriotic display. Note the two American flags, specifically the number of stars in the cantons. The flag in picture one has 45 stars, meaning it was made sometime after 1896 when a new star was added to represent the new state of Utah. This tells us that the picture could not have been taken before 1896, but what of the other flag? The flag in the second picture has 48 stars, meaning that it was made after 1912 when two stars were added for the newly minted states of New Mexico and Arizona. This means that these photos had to have been taken sometime after 1912, which seems a more appropriate date than the 1890s. The 1912, 48 star flag, would remain in use for 47 years, until 1959 when Alaska joined the Union.

Finally, we know a rough date and location of the photograph, but what about the parade itself? What could the exuberant people of New Straitsville be so joyfully celebrating? The banner strung across the street reads “WELCOME,” perhaps they were celebrating the return of their local World War I veterans in late 1918. A little more digging online yielded a third photo of the same parade taken from the same vantage point. This photo was cataloged in the Little Cities of Black Diamonds online archive in 2010 and given the title 4th of July parade, 1910. The archivist who entered this photo did not have the benefit of seeing the other two photos with the datable flags, and thus could not help but make the mistake of misdating the photo.

Regardless of these pesky details of date and location, these photos are still an invaluable resource. These photos remind us that our forefathers had a sense of humor, and that we are not the only ones who know how to have fun. What we can say about these photos is greatly surpassed by what they can say about us.


In honor of Perry County’s Bicentennial the Perry County Tribune will be publishing a book detailing stories from the county’s 200 years of history, to which Snider and others will be contributing. Persons interested in submitting stories are asked to please contact Tribune reporter Casey Sargel. To learn more please visit the Perry County Tribune


To learn more about research at the Randolph Mitchell House please visit us on facebook at Archaeology at the Randolph Mitchell House

The 34th Annual Symposium on Ohio Valley Urban and Historic Archaeology

Call for Papers and Meeting Announcement

Fortified community in early Marietta, Ohio, 1788-1796.

Fortified community in early Marietta, Ohio, 1788-1796.

Saturday, March 19, 2016

Campus Martius Museum of the Northwest Territory

601 Second Street, Marietta, Ohio 45750 

Originating in November of 1982 and first convened in March 1983, the Symposium on Ohio Valley Urban and Historic Archaeology serves as an annual forum for the presentation and discussion of regional research in the field of historical archaeology and related disciplines. Participants in this dialogue include members of the archaeological community, museum and historical society representatives, officials of various Federal and state agencies, and the interested public. Selected papers presented at the Symposium and contributed articles are published in the organization’s official journal, Ohio Valley Historical Archaeology (formally known as the Proceedings of the Symposium on Ohio Valley Urban and Historic Archaeology).

-O.V.H.A. editor Donald B. Ball, M.A., RPA, Louisville, Kentucky

Proposal Guidelines:

-Seeking papers, posters, and exhibits concerning all aspects of regional urban and historical archaeology. The geographic scope of the symposium covers all states within the Ohio River drainage.

-Formal papers are of 20 minutes duration. Poster displays and small exhibits will be presented throughout the day with scheduled attendance times for presenters.

-Papers may be submitted for review for publication in the symposium’s Journal Ohio Valley Historical Archaeology. Publication guidelines are provided upon request from the editor Donald B. Ball at the email available upon request.

Interested Participants are requested to:

-Send an abstract (100 words or less) before March 1, 2016 to the Program Chair Dr. Annette G. Ericksen at the email address below. Indicate whether the presentation will be as a paper, poster session, or display.

-Send registration information and any special A/V equipment needs to Arrangement Chair Dawn Walter Gagliano at the email address below.

Registration: 

The symposium is being sponsored by Campus Martius Museum of the Northwest Territory. The event is free and open to the public. There is no registration fee.

Visit Ohio Valley Urban and Historic Archaeology on Facebook for updates!

Contacts:

Program Chair: Dr. Annette G. Ericksen, ASC Group Inc., aericksen@ascgroup.net

Arrangement Chair: Dawn Walter Gagliano, ASC Group Inc., dgagliano@ascgroup.net

Editor: Donald B. Ball, DBall39539@aol.com

Back issues of Ohio Valley Historical Archaeology will be available for inspection and purchase at the meeting.


For more information and regular updates on research at the Randolph Mitchell House, please visit us on facebook at Archaeology at the Randolph Mitchell House

posted by Joseph E.B. Snider, February 5, 2016

RANDOLPH MITCHELL LECTURE THIS SATURDAY

 

TRANS-APPALACHIAN.jpg

Daniel Boone escorting settlers through the Cumberland Gap, 1851-52 (oil on canvas) by George Caleb Bingham. 

This Saturday at 6:30pm at the Perry County District Library Somerset Branch Annex in Somerset, Ohio, Joseph E.B. Snider will be delivering a paper entitled, From the Shenandoah to the Ohio: the Trans-Appalachian Journey of Randolph Mitchell. This lecture is the product of just over a year’s worth of research which has led the Randolph Mitchell House Rediscovery Project research team from New Reading, Ohio, to Rockingham County, Virginia, and back again. As a result of these spirited efforts, we now have a better understanding of the man behind the house, Colonel Randolph Mitchell. See abstract of paper below for a details regarding the material to be presented.

ABSTRACT 

Settlement of the Shenandoah Valley began in the 1720s as pressure and competition for land in the east spurred Pennsylvania Germans, Scotts-Irish, and English settlers west. These diverse peoples came in hopes of owning land, and as they toiled behind the plow they prospered and soon firmly established themselves as successful towns and communities, but as the 18th century drew to a close their children and grandchildren began to feel the same pressures that had earlier driven them to the Valley. In the early years of the new republic, demand for new land increased dramatically and many eyed the Northwestern Territory. Thousands of common people from the east flocked to the Ohio Valley, among these souls was Randolph Mitchell. Similarities between these two great valleys are many. They were both settled by ethnically diverse people who viewed them as opportunities to provide for their families, and when successive generations realized this to no longer be true, they shamelessly picked up and moved west where new opportunity awaited them. The people of the Shenandoah and Ohio Valleys share the same undying spirit of calculated risk takers and industrious opportunity seekers.

The lecture is presented as an installment, focusing on Appalachian Heritage, in the annual Phil Sheridan Lecture Series sponsored by the Perry County Historical and Cultural Arts Society, based in Somerset, Ohio.

For More information please visit our facebook page at Archaeology at the Randolph Mitchell House.

Also please see Perry County Tribune Article Phil Sheridan Lecture Series Continues January 30 in Somerset

Digging the Past: Archaeology Day at Campus Martius, January 16, 2016

Archaeology Day at Campus Martius 2015

Archaeology Day at Campus Martius 2015

Campus Martius, Museum of the Northwest Territory is situated along the eastern banks of the Muskingum River near her confluence with the Ohio in historic Marietta, Ohio. The museum houses three floors of exhibits focusing on the Northwest Territory and its first settlement, Marietta, founded in 1788. Established in 1928, Campus Martius has long been dedicated to preserving and interpreting the history of Ohio and the Northwest Territory, and for many years has been the host of Digging the past: Archaeology Day. The day’s events and activities include a variety of interpretive posters and displays of artifacts both historic and prehistoric, flint knapping demonstrations as well as a series of lectures presented by archaeologists and historians. The event is being held Saturday, January 16th, from 9:00am-4:00pm, regular admission applies, $7.00 for adults, $4.00 for students and free for children 5 and under.

Lectures include:

10:00 – Wes Clark – The significance of the Marietta earthworks and some new discoveries as to alignment

11:00 – Doug Angeloni & Tom Hornbrook – Indian Villages and Trading Posts of Tuscarawas County

12:00 – Greg Shipley – Independent Archaeologist – Indian Sites and objects found mentioned in Alan Eckert’s The Frontiersmen. European goods found at Shawnee, Wyandot, and Ottawa villages.

1:00 – Bill Pickard –Archaeologist and curator for the Ohio History Connection – Ice Age in Ohio

2:00 – Joseph E.B. Snider – Architecture as Evidence: What a House Can Tell Us About the Past.

3:00 – Jarrod Burks – Rediscovering lost earthworks using radar technology

For more information please visit the Campus Martius Museum of the Northwest Territory Events page

Also see Museum Offers Hands-On History, a recent article from the Marietta Times about the event which includes interviews with some of the lecturers.

RESTORATION EFFORTS CONTINUE at the RANDOLPH MITCHELL HOUSE

By Joseph E.B. Snider

Randolph Mitchell House, Randolph Mitchell, Joseph Snider, Restoration, New Reading Ohio, Perry County Ohio, Ohio History

South face, front entrance, of the Randolph Mitchell House showing progress of brick repointing. Click on this and other images below to enlarge. 

Restoration of the Randolph Mitchell House began in the fall of 2014 when the house was privately purchased. Since then a team of local and central Ohio architectural engineers, masons, structural engineers, electricians, carpenters, roofers, equipment operators, historians, archaeologists, historic preservationists, landscapers and just plain people with opinions have been involved in spurring the project on, and with stunning results I might add. Manning the helm is a feral black cat who showed up last fall and promptly assumed the responsibilities of chief supervisor, know-it-all and amusement provider. He has been lovingly named The Colonel in honor of Randolph Mitchell who carried the title of colonel.

Randolph Mitchell House cat, Rediscovery Project, Perry County, Ohio History, archaeology, history

The Colonel, as we call him, inspecting some of our work.

When first assessed the most critical issue we faced was obvious, the lack of a roof for near a decade. This allowed for the extensive water damage that occurred in the western portions of the home. No serious structural complications were detected, but some problems did demand immediate attention. After a temporary roof was installed over the portion of the slate roof that had failed, locals aided in the removal of the previous occupants belongings which beared heavily on the damaged wooden framing of the attic floor. With this extra load removed jacks were soon put in place to begin jacking up the floors starting first in the basement.

DSC_0096

Owner, Mr. Preisse, putting the first turns on the jack in the basement last winter.

the randolph mitchell house, rediscovery project, restoration, perry county, ohio history

A forest of jacks in the basement stabilize the first floor. Photograph taken with a fisheye lens to capture the jacks extending into the dinning room on the first floor.

Since these early steps much headway has been made. The interior of the foundation in the basement has been repointed and the exterior brickwork is currently undergoing the same treatment.

the randolph mitchell house, randolph mitchell, ohio history, restoration, perry county, archaeology

West wall of the Randolph Mitchell House repointing in progress.

the randolph mitchell house, rediscovery project, research, perry county ohio, ohio history, history

Repointing of the east gable wall.

Masonry ties have been installed with exterior star medallions to hold the second story floor joists in place.

the randolph mitchell house, ohio history, rediscovery project, perry county

View of exterior masonry tie with star medallion.

the randolph mitchell house

Interior view of masonry tie connected to bracing in the second story floor joists.

Glue laminated timbers, or gluelams, have replaced failed portions of the summer beam, the principle load bearing beam, in the attic floor. Additional two by sixes have been laminated to the sides of portions of the summer beam whose mortise pockets have failed.

the randolph mitchell house

The failed summer beam no longer supporting the third floor, pictured here in January of this year.

the randolph mitchell house

Glulam replacement of the third story summer beam.

the randolph mitchell house

Permanent reinforcing columns and steel I-beams have now replaced the jacks and many failed floor joists.

Jacking began in the basement in an effort to shore up the first floor for further jacking to follow. Once this was done the second floor was then jacked up from the now stabilized first floor. Jacking proceeded to the third floor where we meant with the failed summer beam. This was temporarily jacked for stabilization and later determined to be beyond salvageable. Portions of this summer beam do however include the outermost growth rings of the black walnut tree from which it came. These portions were salvaged for the purpose of dendrochronological analysis, offering us the ability to determine the year that the tree was harvested. Dendrochronology, in a nutshell, is a scientific method of dating wood based on patterns in the tree growth rings. Awareness of the year that the tree was cut down will aid in our determination of when the house was built.

the randolph mitchell house

Sections of the failed summer beam salvaged for further analysis.

The date stone in the east gable reads “R.M. 1828” telling us that the construction of the house was likely completed in 1828. What it does not tell us is when construction began. The date of the house’s construction and subsequent remodeling episodes remain some of our most often asked research questions.

the randolph mitchell house, rediscovery project, ohio history, new reading ohio, perry county, joseph snider, archaeology, research

The Randolph Mitchell House date stone in the east gable wall reads “R.M. 1828.”

Further research into these and other architectural features will lead to a better understanding of the construction sequence that ultimately resulted in the Randolph Mitchell House as we view it today.


Further Reading

For more information on the subject of household succession and its influence on architectural modification of the Randolph Mitchell House please see What a House Can Tell Us About the Past: Household Succession and Change at the Randolph Mitchell House. a poster created by the author for the 219th Anniversary of the Birth of Randolph Mitchell Celebration held at the Randolph Mitchell House in New Reading, Ohio on July 11, 2015.


For more information please visit and like our facebook page at Archaeology at the Randolph Mitchell House for regular news and updates.

POSTERS PRESENTED AT THE 219TH ANNIVERSARY OF THE BIRTH OF RANDOLPH MITCHELL AT HIS HOME IN NEW READING, OHIO, JULY 11, 2015

By Joseph E.B. Snider

In honor of the anniversary of Colonel Randolph Mitchell’s birthday a series of posters were created outlining some of the Randolph Mitchell House Rediscovery Project’s most recent research. It has been not only our goal to research the Colonel and his home, but also to impart to the public our findings. These posters were positioned throughout the house and lot in hopes of educating those who took the time to attend the event. For those who were unable to attend, the posters have been successfully digitized and attached here for your viewing pleasure. Each poster highlights some of our research questions as we proceed with investigations. Please click on the blue highlighted links below for quality PDF versions of the posters previewed here.

The Randolph Mitchell House Rediscovery Project

Front entrance to the Randolph Mitchell House with poster on household succession and change over time.

So Who Was Randolph Mitchell, Randolph Mitchell and the Town of New Reading, Perry County, Ohio

Poster 1. So Who Was Randolph Mitchell? Randolph Mitchell and the Town of New Reading, Perry County, Ohio. Please click on blue highlighted links below for high quality PDFs of these posters.

The first of these posters entitled SO WHO WAS RANDOLPH MITCHELL? RANDOLPH MITCHELL AND THE TOWN OF NEW READING, PERRY COUNTY, OHIO delved into the life of the Colonel and the often forgotten town which he called home, New Reading, Ohio.

What a House Can Tell Us About the Past, Household Succession and Change at the Randolph Mitchell House

Poster 2. What a House Can Tell Us About the Past: Household Succession and Change at the Randolph Mitchell House. Click on blue highlighted link below for PDF version of poster.

A second poster entitled WHAT A HOUSE CAN TELL US ABOUT THE PAST: HOUSEHOLD SUCCESSION AND CHANGE AT THE RANDOLPH MITCHELL HOUSE addressed one of our core research questions here at the Randolph Mitchell House Rediscovery Project, and that is “What happened at this house after Randolph Mitchell had died and his son in law W.W. Arnold became head of the household.” 

The Colonel's Smokehouse, What This and Other Evidence Tells Us About the Socioeconomic Status of Randolph Mitchell

Poster 3. The Colonel’s Smokehouse: What this and Other Evidence Tells Us about the Socioeconomic Status of Randolph Mitchell. Click on blue link below for PDF version.

The final poster specifically addressed the large brick smokehouse located on the Randolph Mitchell House lot, THE COLONEL’S SMOKEHOUSE: WHAT THIS AND OTHER EVIDENCE TELLS US ABOUT THE SOCIOECONOMIC STATUS OF RANDOLPH MITCHELL.

The Randolph Mitchell House Preliminary Research Results

Poster 4. The Randolph Mitchell House: Preliminary Research, Results and Proposal for Archaeological Investigations of an Early 19th Century Ohio Private Residence. Click on blue link below for high quality PDF version of poster.

The Randolph Mitchell House: Preliminary Research, Results and Proposal for Archaeological Investigations of an Early 19th Century Ohio Private Residence. An earlier poster was presented by Joseph E.B. Snider at the 33rd Annual Symposium on Ohio Valley Urban and Historic Archaeology, March 21, 2015 at the Red River Museum, Clay City, Kentucky and at the 20th Annual Denman Undergraduate Research Forum, March 25, 2015 at the Ohio State University, Columbus, Ohio.

Additional information can now be found on our new PUBLICATIONS page where we hope to release new articles, papers, posters etc. as they are composed.


All posters above were composed and presented by Joseph E.B. Snider, archaeological researcher at The Randolph Mitchell House Rediscovery Project.


The above posters constitute a mere summary of our preliminary findings. It is our goal to have so much more to share as research continues. Stay tuned to this page and please visit our facbeook page at Archaeology at the Randolph Mitchell House


We wish to thank the following individuals and organizations for the vital role that they have played in this ongoing research: Special thanks to Douglas J. Preisse for his commitment to the preservation of the Randolph Mitchell House and his support for the above research and investigations yet to come, Stephen George and Amanda Schraner Terrell of Ohio History Connection, Dr. Scott Aubry of the Anthropology Dept. at OSU for his advising and guidance, Dr. Annette G. Ericksen of Archaeological Service Consultants Group Inc. for her continued inspiration and guidance, Mr. Donald B. Ball editor of Ohio Valley Historic Archaeology for his endless supply of reference materials, Dr. Jarrod Burks of Ohio Valley Archaeological Consultants for his mentorship and consultation, Mrs. Ann Bigelow for her inspiration, comradery and cherished friendship and support, The Perry County Historical and Cultural Arts Society and finally the citizens of Reading Township, Perry County, Ohio. Thank you all!


Further Reading: 

Restoring the Randolph Mitchell House to its Former Glory an article which appeared in the Perry County Tribune August 5, 2015.